Jan 25, 2014

Quickie Movie Reviews

I watched these, and none of them felt like their warranted a full review. Pls comment with movie recommendations that won't make me want to claw out my eyes.

Moon
(2009, Nathan Parker)
Great movie. For some reason I always lose interest about 1/4 of the way in. It's a movie that demands attention, and I'm often the worst for that. Great story, amazing acting by Sam Rockwell. For a low budget movie this is really a powerful story. Very suspenseful and doesn't become claustrophobic in the small space shuttle. This is how sci-fi should be done, to help explore the human condition. 8/10





Rush
(2013, Peter Morgan)
Who doesn't like a good sports movie? Apparently girls don't. That bothered me the most about Rush, the very obvious play towards male audiences. It was a little insulting. I'm a girl. I watched that movie. No male asked me to or recommended it. Sometimes females watch all kinds of movies. The first third of the movie felt slow and painful because it was so geared towards engaging a male audience. It isn't the same story telling that happens in the rest of the movie. In my opinion, this is probably why it lost out on some Oscar noms. Overall though, its great. Ron Howard is still an outstanding director. It's suspenseful and develops wonderful characters. Who doesn't love watching the third act of a sports movie where the underdog is lead to victory? From The Mighty Ducks to Moneyball it's why we keep going back to the genre. It's not a must see, but it's a good see. 8/10


The Bounty Hunter
(2010, Sarah Thorp)
Oh God, more Jennifer Aniston?! Can't she retire?? You know what, I'm all for promoting women and wanting women to succeed but she is just the worst actress. I didn't even watch this movie all the way through. It's just another vehicle for Jennifer Aniston to play the same character. If you liked Jen in Rumor Has It, or We're the Millers, or Love Happens, or Just Go With It, I'm sure you'll like this. It' a fine movie, but there was nothing passionate about this. It's not just a no-thinker, it's a movie that might potentially give you brain damage for being so stupid. 3/10





Frozen
(2013, Jennifer Lee)
I haven't been a fan of many animated movies lately. They've become a cash grab, and uninspired. Wreck-It Ralph was a good example of this to me. It cashed in on this "video game" experience but was really a poor story with boring characters. Frozen is their follow up, and it's a little better. The story is fine, although dramatically under developed in my opinion. It has one good song and the rest are forgettable. The boys are only love interests to the girls is just as frustrating as when it's the opposite. Despite the fact that Josh Gad actually brought a lot of good acting to the role, his goofy snowman sidekick is so paint-by numbers that I'm done. I wouldn't call this movie uninspired because you can feel passion in making a non-villainous villain. The problem is that the villain is now in the form of Elsa's powers, which are entirely unexplained and unresolved. I felt like the ending should have been the halfway point of the story, and things should have ramped up from there. Oh well, maybe next time. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment