Jul 4, 2013

Upcoming Summer Movies (Part 2- Extra Awesome Edition)

(Psst.. Part 1 is here!)

Kick Ass 2

Action, Screenplay by Jeff Wadlow
Release Date: August 16th, 2013



Yeaaaaaaahhhhh I can't wait for this movie. Insert your favorite cliche comment about sequels not living up to the original here. I don't care. This is going to be an awesome movie. Kick Ass might not have been recognized as an outstanding movie when it was released, but I think it stands up against some of the biggest budget movies launched in the last decade. It's the only superhero movie to ever capture a sense of  vulnerability and humble insecurity. It's a powerful franchise that pushes traditional concepts bringing shocking moments to a very jaded audience, while eliciting more sympathy than I have ever had for a "hero". Of course I am concerned they are going to screw things up. But even if they do, I'll get a new sexy soundtrack from it! (The original was great!)


The World's End

Genre? Awesome? Written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg
Release Date: August 23rd, 2013 (NA)



I don't think there is much to say. These guys don't do sequels, they do new movies. This is the final chapter the Blood and Ice Cream (someone buys a cornetto at the time stamp of the release date?) series. The actors are highly talented, extremely funny and have never balked at the high expectations. This will be good, because Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright don't know how to do bad.

Drinking Buddies

Dranedy, Written by Joe Swanberg
Release Date: August 23rd, 2013



I am a sucker for Olivia Wilde, even when she's isn't great and every girl fell in love with Anna Kendrick in 2012 with Pitch Perfect. To put those two ladies in a love triangle with New Girl's Jake Johnson is genius. I am there. This looks like the perfect kind of romantic comedy, having a female POV but not being girlie and trite. I'm really excited to see where this goes, but I will be the first to acknowledge the major-flop potential. This could definitely drag on and be unsatisfying. But I don't think Jake would do that to me. If this doesn't drown, it could serve to be a great example for how to make a quality low budgie. I have faith that Joe Swanberg is experienced enough to make this great.


Don Jon

Comedy, Written by Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Release Date: September 27th, 2013



Everyone knows JGL for making amazing film choices, which is why there is such a high expectation for his foray into writing and directing. Thankfully this isn't a high concept thriller, or crime drama with a twist ending or something that could so easily go wrong. It's a comedy, but it's hard to create a comedy that feels fresh and edgy. I'm excited to see this in theaters, because I can't see it being anything less than stellar.


That's my list! No mention of Wolverine or Thor. If anyone has any suggestions, arguments or pictures of cats, please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment