Feb 24, 2014

REVIEW: Before Midnight


8/10 - The one where they fight

Yes it was great, but I have to admit, it didn't have the same thing for me as the first two.

I expect to get skinned alive for stating that review, too. Trust me, I know how good everyone thinks it is.

For those unaware, Before Sunrise came out in 1995, Before Sunset was in 2004. This film, Before Midnight, is the latest and because it's a sequel it is automatically considered an Adapted Screenplay instead of Original due to Academy rules.

The whole concept of movie sequels that are decades apart is something that seems sort of new and interesting. It's happened with Clerks, revisiting the characters 10 years later. Most sequels are intended to cash in on the success, right away. Time isn't the same in their fictional universe. Sometimes sequels are installments of the same story, so this whole idea of character growth in a 10 year time investment is fascinating.

That being said there was something about the first half of this film that didn't sell me. I loved the romantic Greek setting, I loved the complex relationship Jesse has with his son. But there was something about the heavy handed discussion of insecurities within relationships, then the forced setup of them having a hotel room to return to. It really struck a wrong note for me. I have no doubt that for most people this is nitpicky and unimportant, and I agree. It just took away from some of the enjoyment of the movies for me, it took away some of the spontaneity.

The rest of the film another beautiful installment to a beautiful series. "The fight" is as raw and memorable and vulnerable as the other two but in a new way. This is the first time we've seen this couple as a couple. The long conversations are often a deathblow for other movies, come across as intellectual experiences and are still enjoyable. The second half is so intense, I was enraptured.

If you've seen the other two, it's a no-brainer to see this one. If you haven't do yourself the favor of seeing Before Sunrise as soon as possible.

IMDb - Before Midnight (8.1)
Wikipedia - Before Midnight
Rotten Tomatoes - Before Midnight (98%)
Amazon.ca - Before Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment