Feb 27, 2014

REVIEW: Her


9/10 - I sort of wish Joaquin wasn't in this movie. 



Her is drama that explores the budding relationship between introverted and heartbroken Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Pheonix) and his new Operating System (Scarlett Johansson) who calls herself Samantha. It is a romantic story on the surface, but underneath it hides questions about the human condition.

I think it's great, it explores introverted themes of loneliness in a way that few movies can. The idea's are outstanding, and by that I'm not actually referring to the operating system relationship premise. The romantic storyline played out exactly as I assumed it would. The world they created is of course the most fantastical part of this film. There are so many details and characters to immerse the audience in this world. The job Theodore has writing love letters is simply poetic.

On my first watch, I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I was hoping, especially considering the amount of critical acclaim it's received. It is quite long and drawn out. In retrospect it's a better film than I gave it credit for. I actually enjoyed it far more on the second watch. Perhaps its a movie that needs it's concepts to marinate, or maybe I was in a bad mood the first time.

Best picture is a stretch, in my opinion. I'm surprised that it's nominated. On the other hand, Best Original Screenplay is something that it absolutely deserves to win. I love the way this film illustrates Samantha training Theodore how to think, feel, and talk without stating that it's happening. Those are the concepts that should earn an writing Oscar.

IMDb - Her (8.3)
Wikipedia - Her
Rotten Tomatoes - Her (94%)
Amazon.ca - Her

No comments:

Post a Comment