Jun 29, 2013

REVIEW: 3, 2, 1.... Frankie Go Boom

5/10 - Yes, that's the real title. I assume someone was on mushrooms when it was chosen.


This movie left me disappointed. I felt like a soccer mom, rooting for my kids team, but they still got pummeled.

Frankie Go Boom shares the story of a young man who becomes an internet laughing stock at the hands of his brother. Twice. It's supposed to be a heartwarming story about a man learning to live with his dysfunctional family, finding love after getting his heart broken, and doing so while playing dress-up as a vulgar comedy. It unfortunately fails on all three fronts.

I will say that this is absolutely not a horrible train wreck. It's entertaining and might even by hysterical in the right mindset. The cast is a fantastic ensemble for a lower budget movie. I think every actor improves on the character that was written in the script. It has some unfiltered and unedited moments of comic inspiration, but that just isn't enough.

Lizzy Caplan and Charlie Hunnam are fine as Lassie and Frankie. Just fine. Chris O'Dowd is still quite funny and charming, but I suspect he was put on a leash.

I think that Frankie was trying to go for the Little Miss Sunshine vibe of being sweet and optimistic despite the chaos. Sadly, aside from one climactic moment of real emotion, nothing about this feels optimistic or charming, or even relatable by the end. I don't really ever believe anything important is at stake. The ending just sort of happens, the same way characters just sort of appear and disappear in the movie. All and all it just feels wishy-washy. There are great ideas but it never goes for the jugular. This movie has the balls to put Ron Perlman in drag and feature a blowjob nightmare, but it still doesn't make me laugh or feel fresh.

I would love for other writers to weigh in on where they think Frankie goes wrong, and how they would have done things differently to make it better.

IMDb - Frankie Go Boom (5.6)
Wikipedia - Frankie Go Boom
Rotten Tomatoes - Frankie Go Boom (41%)
Amazon.ca - Frankie Go Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment